Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Relief Society Birthday Party!

It's funny how things can be so different, yet the same.

I was brought to tears as I sat in the midst of these beautiful sisters that live here in Chennai. I can't believe how fast I am learning to love these sisters! We don't have a fancy Relief Society room.....in fact, it is white walls with paint peeling everywhere, white floors, un-hidden electrical wiring about, mosquitoes, a weird musty/sewer smell that you end up getting used to, no tablecloth with centerpiece........just a bunch of wonderful women who love the Lord.

I felt the spirit when our Relief Society president stood and gave her message. I could feel her sincerity and knew she was speaking from her heart. I wondered what they would think if they knew the kind of RS room I was used too. Would it seem extravagant? Would it seem over-done? Would it seem like we focus too much on looks and the "foo-foo" stuff? I don't know. I just know that it doesn't matter what the surroundings are, you can feel the spirit, bear your testimony, pray, and love and serve one another.....anywhere!

Here are some pics of this wonderful evening!


Cutting the birthday cake. Sister Zita in the red Saree conducted and tried so hard to make sure we had a good time. The American missionary is Sister Dosdall from the Westland Stake in MI and they asked her to cut the cake because she was the oldest. The Indian sister in the turquoise Saree is our RS president.


This is a view of one side of the room. Some of the older children joined us.


This is me with Sister Uma on the left who is in the RS presidency and is the branch president's wife, and Sister Irene on the right,who Corey home teaches - she dressed me!


Some primary children. I guess it doesn't matter that the walls are white because the clothing is so colorful! Aren't these children beautiful?
A group of sisters with children.

It wouldn't be a church function without food! Make it simple and easy.....everything in one or two pots - LARGE pots! No need for a fancy buffet table - it still tastes good! And who needs to sit at a clothed table with centerpieces? just more work and stress for someone. I would have sat on the floor with everyone else, but I wasn't sure how to do it gracefully in my Saree, so I just stood and ate.
No need for silverware or napkins either - save money and less garbage - I think they are on to something! This is the first time I ate with my bare hands (right hand only, please). I've eaten Indian food with bread like Chipati or Dosa, but never with my complete bare hand. Try it some time, it's fun! And you're allowed to lick your fingers too!

Me in my new Saree. I know the color is kind of boring, but don't worry, I'll work my way up the color wheel soon enough. This was taken in our living room at our home. The french doors open to the backyard.

The back
All I can say is - I hope they don't call me to be activities chairperson when I get back to the states........I'm kinda liking the way things are done here......you never know what you might get!

2 comments:

  1. Karrie, that is awesome. So many neat experiences. Your dress is beautiful. Have so much fun on your cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Activities would be a breeze if you didn't have to worry about decorations, silverware, etc. And we would probably stay within the budget. I love the color of your dress!

    ReplyDelete