Thursday, June 17, 2010

Line Jumping, Taking Cuts, Snaking........

One peculiar thing that happens to us frequently here is........

When the kids and I are standing in line (in "the cue" as they say here) - usually at a store, KFC, doctors, etc. - the check-out clerk will often motion to me to come up to the front of the line, even if it means taking cuts in front of someone! I always politely decline because it goes against everything I've been taught growing up. The other people in line can clearly see what is going on and I want to send the message that I am not "special" and I can wait my turn like everyone else.

So, I've been here a year and a half now and have gotten to the point where I just ignore them or look away when they want me to line jump.

BUT, the other day, I gave in and took MAJOR CUTS!!! It felt weird and awesome at the same time!

I was at the zoo, no, wait.... I mean the Apollo Hospital downtown.... and it was CRAZY packed with people everywhere, going in every direction and I had no clue where to go or what to do.

Eric was scheduled for a check-up with a diabetes doctor - our first time. So when I got to the receptionist, I waited in line and I could hear her telling other patients that it was an hour wait for this particular doctor (which probably meant 2 hours). But when I finally spoke with her, she told me we were NEXT! So, what to do?

The little angel on one shoulder said, "NO, you should wait your turn like everyone else". I looked around me and there was no place to sit and everyone was in my space and staring at us like a fish in a fishbowl. That's when the naughty guy said "Just go ahead, - there is NO way you can wait here that long". So I gave in and went next.

Same thing happened at the phlebotomist (he had to have a blood draw for his hbA1C) test, and the pharmacy.

I left feeling guilty, but so happy to be out of there!!!

I guess I have some repenting to do,
I promise I'll never do it again!

*wink*, *wink* ;-)


1 comment:

  1. Karrie you bad girl ;) No one ever lets ME cut... what's up with that?! Pretty sure I would totally take them up on it if they motioned me to the front.

    ReplyDelete